Sunday, April 1, 2012

Grade A April Fool


The only time I have ever really fallen for an April Fool’s Day joke was when my sister was in high school.

My life at the time involved my six month old baby and ferrying my sisters around town for my parents. (That’s just a bit of backstory to help you understand the context of what my lovely, charming sister did.) My sister ran cross country and track in high school. She often had meets out of town on weekdays so often I didn’t pick her up, only our younger sister.

One day (which, of course, happened to be April first) my sister called me around 4:15 in the afternoon. I never thought it strange that she would be calling me since I was the first person to be called if someone needed a ride.

She sounded upset, her voice stressed and broken like she had been crying. Instantly all my alarms went up. I have a protective streak when it comes to my sisters (they are ten and fourteen years younger than me.) She proceeded to tell me that she had been at a track meet in a far west suburb of Chicago that doesn’t have the best reputation for safety. According to her story she had gone into the building for a minute to use the bathroom, and when she came out the bus was gone.

Thinking she was stranded at an unsafe school thirty minutes away, I started to toss together my diaper bag and get my son ready to zip to the car. As I assured her that I would be there as soon as I could, she broke out laughing. To say I was confused would be an understatement.

Then she joyfully yelled, “April Fool’s!”

I naturally did the only mature thing there was to do…I hung up on her.

She got a huge kick out of that story for weeks.

I felt like a grade-A fool.

Needless to say, I’m pretty leery of anything anyone says to me on 

April first.
OH LOL Liz you are the best. Thank you so much for sharing this. I just freaked out my family by telling them my husband's recent vasectomy didn't take. It's been loads of fun. 

Happy April Fools Ya'll.

Author bio:
Liz Botts was born, raised, and still lives in northern Illinois with her husband and three small children (two boys and a baby girl). When not writing, she enjoys reading, sewing, trying new recipes, and homeschooling her kids. She is proud to pass her love of stories on to her children, and makes several trips to the library each week. After working with teenagers for several years, she decided to write stories about them instead.
In the Spotlight synopsis:
When sixteen year old Hannah Brewster lands the lead in the school musical she hopes it will be the perfect chance to get the attention of her family and her long time crush, Kyle. The only problem is that school super star, Josh Larson, has been cast opposite her, and he seems to like her as more than just a cast mate.

As Hannah and Josh grow closer, things between Hannah and Kyle get complicated. When Hannah realizes that Kyle is not who she thought he was, she also realizes that she just might like Josh as more than just a friend.

Will Hannah and Josh be able to overcome their obstacles and admit their feelings before the musical ends?

Web links:







2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me, Bri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never particularly liked April Fool's Day ... or the attendant 'tricks' people would play. But one year we had a problem employee who took things to extremes and got himself in even more trouble. Which caused unbelievable problems for the entire organization. Sometimes a moment of presumed levity can backfire in a huge way.
    That was some 20 yrs ago, and it's still difficult for me to think of Apr. 1 without remembering how horribly one person's over-the-top 'tricks' caused such misery for so many people (especially me).
    Sorry to post such a 'downer' message.

    ReplyDelete