Friday, July 16, 2010

Review of Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

This is a first for me. I've never reviewed a book before. Nevertheless, in an effort to further cultivate my skills as a writer I thought this would be a good exercise.


Poison Study is the first book in a Fantasy/Romance novel by Maria V. Snyder known as the Study series. Snyder does a wonderfully splendid job of creating a world believable, fear able and desirable enough to get lost in. Yelena the protagonist is a fourteen-year-old girl whose life is over in Chapter 1. She is offered the opportunity to be the Commander's taste tester instead of being executed for murder. A murder committed in self-defense, but none the less still murder. According to the Code of Behavior, implemented in Ixia by the conqueror Commander Ambrose, anyone who takes another’s life no matter the circumstances is put into the dungeons and then executed. Valek Commander Ambrose's loyal spymaster and bodyguard is the one to offer Yelena this opportunity or is it. Yelena doesn't accept right away intriguing Valek. This is a prominent character trait for Yelena as she always considers all her choices as if they are life and death. The fearful fact of the matter is this is what her life has taught her thus far.

Poison Study is a little darker than what I usually read. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. There was intrigue, action, desire, romance, growth, doom, and love. I am a character writer and reader. This novel was thoroughly entrenched with dynamic characters that constantly had you wondering where their loyalties lie. I am very excited to ready the next two books in the series Magic Study and Fire Study both published by Luna. A publisher that I am quickly becoming enraptured with.

No comments:

Post a Comment