Sunday, June 17, 2012

Connections are your Cornerstone



 
In the last week I have been working thirteen hour days preparing for two amazing events…The Global Women’s Summit in Vegas and Romcon in Denver. I’ll be presenting more than once in Vegas and let me just say PowerPoint is a Pain in my _______. Turns out my program is messed up. Go figure could have save hours….
I digress. The point is that the weekend before I go away for two conferences in a week with only a 10 hour layover at home midweek I also had some very important family things going on as well.


·         First…3 of my 4 kids are out of school for the summer and they get antsy staying at home all day. Therefore, one day I took my girls to the pool and worked poolside for a few hours. I didn’t get a lot of work done but it was good for me to be in the sun…reenergizing I think. And it tired them out.


·         Second…Friday night is date night. My husband and I love movies and we usually go for a movie on Fridays—especially in the summer….so of course I had movie night with my man.
·         Third… Now we are at the weekend. This is where it got big. Friday is my husband’s and my oldest son’s birthday. The son turned 18. Yes I know I’m only 30…(For the newbies…my sons are not biologically mine but I’ve been their full time moma for 12 years. My family taught me words like “half” “step” and “removed” don’t exist before any familial title. So in other words the only steps in this household are carpeted.) I woke up early as usual, went to Walmart, got some groceries for the week, party supplies, and stuff for my trip I needed. Came home made bfast in bed for both my guys and then went back to work.

·         Party…So we aren’t huge partyers and my son was a little disappointed I think. If I remember correctly, I thought my 18th would be some event. And it was. But not to my teen eyesight. My grandparents actually I think paid the rest of my probation fines so I could leave the state and move back to Tennessee from North Carolina. Which looking back was pivotal in the rest of the direction my life takes. Anyways I cooked a steak and potato dinner followed by two cakes (the son got his own) then gifts aka cards with money in them. (Sidenote: The hubby bought his own combo Father’s day/Birthday gift the weekend before)
·         Fourth & Final-Father’s Day…Father’s Day to me is always a little bittersweet. I often wonder where my father is and then I remember he’s with granny probably watching Fox News. My PawPaw is the only constant male influence in my life and while he never tried to replace what was missing he substituted quite nicely. My husband is a better father to my children than I could have ever written. As an author we often take the inspiration for characters from those around us but my husband never makes it into my novels. And it’s an involuntary choice…the reason I think is out of reverence. So for Father’s Day we created this amazing candy card along with some other funny cards, we will go to church, Dad will relax, and then I’ve cooked Pioneer Beef Roast with baby carrots, red potatoes, onions with Mac & Cheese and chocolate chip cooks for dessert.
 
Then I’ll bust my hiney trying to finish this last presentation, finish planning and packing for these two amazing events and then bright and early Monday morning I’ll leave. But I’ll leave knowing I’ve done my best to let my family know they are important. That even though in this season of my life I am away more, that a lot of my time is spent on my writing and business goals that they are my anchor. For there really is no point for me to branch out and live a dream if I don’t have the connections to bring me back home to my cornerstone…my family. 


As always if you have been thoroughly entertained please feel free to use the little buttons below and share this blog post on your networks. 
2012 author photo




No comments:

Post a Comment